Live Chat

We’re online 24/7. Click the Live Chat prompts and speak to one of our Course and Career Advisors.


    Your Career, Your Way. A Kirana College's qualification gets you started!

  • The information provided in the form below will be kept in accordance with Australian Privacy laws and our Privacy Policy

It's your call. Make it happen Enquire Now Live Chat or call us 1800 885 791 0900 AEST/ADST TO 1700 AWST MON-FRI
Student Visas

Student Visas

Student Visas

Getting a student visa to study in Australia

To study in Australia, you need a student visa from the Australian government. International students who want to study at Kirana Colleges need a Student Visa (subclass 500).

You can either apply for your own student visa, or apply through an education agent. Ask an Australian Government Embassy or Consulate in your country for a list of registered Australian education agents who can help you apply and lodge a student visa application on your behalf. You can also see our list of recommended education agents.

When to apply for a student visa 

If you’re applying from outside Australia, you can apply for your student visa once you’ve received your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from Kirana Colleges.

If you’re applying for your student visa from within Australia, you can apply with your Letter of Offer or the CoE, but you won’t be granted a visa until you have the CoE.

How to apply for a student visa in Australia

You must apply for a student visa through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), regardless of where you’re applying from.

What documents you’ll need when applying for a student visa

Every student’s situation is different. In Australia, student visa requirements and the documents and evidence you’ll need to supply with your student visa application will depend on:

  • the country of your passport
  • whether English is your first language
  • whether you’re bringing family members with you

The sorts of documents and evidence you’ll be required to supply might include:

  • copies of your passport and evidence of your identity (for example, your birth certificate)
  • evidence of saved money in the bank to support yourself (and any family you bring with you)
  • English language test scores (if English isn’t your first language)
  • evidence of health insurance
  • evidence that you meet the health requirements (you might need to undergo a health exam)
  • documentation about your family members if they’re part of your student visa application
  • a CV or resume detailing your recent work experience.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has a Document Checklist Tool that will give you an accurate list of the documentation and evidence you’ll need for your student visa application.

It’s important to supply all the required documents with your application or your visa could be denied.

Read more about the new Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) and how it affects you.

Working when you have a student visa

As a student of Kirana Colleges, you can legally work part-time for up to 40 hours every fortnight (two weeks) while on a student visa, once you start your course. This is known as the ‘8105 work limitation’.

There are many part-time work options for international students and the money you earn can help pay for your rent, food and groceries, bills and entertainment. Most of our courses have a flexible study schedule with a mix of on-campus and online study. This means you’ll have plenty of time to work outside of your study commitments.

If you want to work while studying, you’ll need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and set up an Australian bank account for your employer to pay your wages into. You can apply for a TFN before you arrive in Australia if you have the intention of working in Australia while you study.

You can check for up-to-date information about your work rights and the visa condition 8105 using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service.

Fees and charges for student visas

You must pay the visa application fee when you lodge your application. The visa application fee is in Australian dollars (AUD).

The cost of a student visa application changes from time to time and it will depend on the date when you apply and how many family members are part of your application as well as their ages.

If you choose to pay by credit card, you’ll have to pay a small processing fee.

If you’re using an education agent to apply for your course and student visa, you’ll most likely pay your agent directly. Make sure your agent tells you about all the costs you’ll have to pay so there are no surprises.

To help you work out the price of your visa, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s Visa Pricing Estimator website.

How long does it take to get a student visa?

There is no set time for how long it takes to get a student visa. It will depend on many factors, like whether you provide the right documents and if you need to get a health check.

DIBP aims to process 75 percent of complete student visa applications within one month of lodging, but it can take longer if you don’t supply the all the required documentation.

To ensure there’s enough time to gain entry to our courses, we recommend applying for your chosen course at Kirana Colleges at least three months prior to ensure the best possible entry into our program.

Get up-to-date visa information

Australian student visa requirements and costs can change, so to make sure you have the most up-to-date information available, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

    • Ready to begin?APPLY ONLINEInternational Students & Agents
    • Through ‘Future Unlimited’ we are dedicated to providing better lives and livelihoods through accredited international Australian education.